Open Doors in STEAM
Open Doors in STEAM
Location: Brown Family House of Learning
Opening doors, empowering learners. Highlighting careers and accomplishments of women in STEAM fields for SD 73 students.
Students will have the opportunity to interact with professionals including TRU faculty, staff, students, and alumni working in STEAM fields. Speakers from these fields will also be brought in from the wider community including Kamloops, BC, and Canada.
This event builds on a successful event held at TRU in May, 2019.
With sponsorship from SD 73; the Mind the Gap collaboration; TRUFA; and the Advancing Women in Engineering and Technology Project, we have a full day of programming for SD 73 girls in grades 10-12.
Confirmed presenters include:
- Lisa Willis— Assistant Professor, Science: University of Alberta— Keynote (via web conference)- Inclusion and women in STEM
- Monique Vek— President, M Sport 6 Apparel
- Heather MacKnee— Environmental Engineer, Urban Systems Ltd
- Kerry Gibson— President, EcoCentury Technologies
- Ila Crawford— Retired Senior Lecturer, TRU Visual Arts
- Lori Birk— Co-director, The Dance Gallery
- Katrina Ballance— RN CGN at Interior Health Authority
- Marcie Cochrane— Project Leader, Association of Consulting Engineering Companies British Columbia, (ACEC-BC)
- Jen Fretz— Professional Engineer (Director of Civic Operations) - City of Kamloops
- Jessica Steeves— Geological Engineer
- Calley Gray— Marine Systems Engineering Officer
- Josie Vayro— TRU Post Doctoral Research Fellow— Rural Livelihoods and Sustainable Communities Lab
- Tess Menges— Supply Specialist, Office of Small and Medium Enterprises (OSME) Public Service
- Robbi Davey— Graphic Designer and Learning Strategist, TRU
- Cynthia Hunter— Physiotherapist
- Anise Barton— Doctor, Royal Inland Hospital
- Leslie Thomson— Accounting Technician
- Jenifer Norwell – Associate Producer, CBC Radio
- Debra Owen - Mortgage Broker
FMI: Matthew Stranach, Ed.D - Coordinator, Educational Technologies, Learning Design and Innovations, Thompson Rivers University Open Learning - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Friday, February 21, 2020
- 9:00am - 2:00pm
- HL 190
- Kamloops Campus